Put a little bit aside, in Giudicarie valley, about forty km away from Trento, Rango with its old houses, lined one next to the other, and connected by porches and halls, seems to be a fortified place. But in reality, the village, that is taking back its new life, thanks to devotion of his inhabitants and local administration, represents an unique example of rural architecture of the mountains that is not often found in Trento, either because of its compactness of urban structure, or because of the characteristics of its porches that once, used to give shelter to men, animals and goods. Rango, before it disappeared into oblivion, was important point of passage on the road that led from Giudicarie valleys and Val Rendena to Garda and Venice, the whole “Pianura padana” area. Everything here had to guarantee survival during long winters: passengers and merchants found here refreshments in a nearby inn, while the inhabitants, could find refuge from bad weather, thanks to a system of covered connected passages- halls, porches and inner yards – that today are happily used for Christmas markets. Here, once upon a time, under these “vòlti”, town life took place, people chatted and told stories, habits that during long winters used to be moved to the stables. What surprises here, in this architecture of Giudicarie valleys that has remained unmodified since the 18th century, is its functionality. Houses, stableand very big, housed under the same roof more than one family.
They were made of stones, wood and straw: the base of stone, the structure above of wood, and as it can be seen in old photography, the straw roof. Still today, big portals and lodges, and large racks to dry products, testify the constructive wisdom of the past. A renaissance heritage is also a gracious mullioned window , above the hall that leads to the village, while the broadening of the Chiesa dell’Annunciazione church was carried out in the 18th century. Another characteristic of Rango and Giudicarie valleys, are the granite bridges (some examples still remain) that allowed farmers to arrive at their farmyards with their horse-car full of products from the country. Typical for this area are also “filagne” (granite slabs fixed vertically in order to form small walls), that here still limit, together with simple walls without malt, old road , shadowed by old walnut trees, that connects Val Marcia to Durone pass. It is also worth seeing, in this territory, the village of Balbido with its mural paintings on facades. It is located in the beginning of Val Marcia, for centuries considered the place of witches; houses in Marazzone and Larido with their typical roofs are also interesting. Chiesa di Santa Croce church located in the village of the same name, headquarters of the old parish of Bleggio, is a rare example of, at least for the Trentino area, a sacred building in renaissance style. Inside the church, you can admire the Chapel of Santa Croce (1640) with its splendid gilded, wooden, baroque altar that since 1624 has preserved the thaumaturgic Cross, a luxurious major altar made of marble (1740), Romanesque crypt with fragments of sculptures from the 8th and 9th century and some traces of frescoes from 1303.
What do you awaiting for...........enjoy it!